I Can Put a Smile on Someone's Face

The feeling you get when you hold up a set of trial lenses over someone's  eyes and they are seeing the world for the first time!! How can you match that feeling with anything else?
This is the reason I'm here with TWECS on my fourth mission trip  in Peru.  I have seen countless children with high prescriptions who have never worn glasses.  They have no idea what they are missing in this beautiful world of ours. 
When I go back to the comforts of my home I can look back and say "I made a difference in so many people's lives!!"
Don't take my word for it...here are the reasons.
I saw a six-year-old who has never worn glasses and had a +10.00 prescription.  We were able to give him +7.00 in high eyes and he was as happy as could be. 
Then there was the 8year old girl with a -8.00 with a lot of astigmatism who could not see past her nose..we were able to find her a pair of glasses that she could see across the room as soon as she put them on. The smile was priceless. 
What about the 70 year old that had not been able to see up close for the last 20 years as she was not able to go buy reading glasses for herself.  As soon as I held the lenses up for  her to look at up close she had the biggest smile on her face!! 
A cool story of my sister handing me my nephews old glasses to bring on the trip and we were able to find a young boy with a very similar prescription to fit perfectly into those glasses!! A child back home in Canada was able to change a boys life in Peru. 






The stories are countless. The hugs and kisses never stopped as everyone was so appreciative and happy that we could turn their life around by a simple pair of glasses:)
What made this trip even more special was the fact that my 19 year old son Ahren joined me on this trip. This is his first mission trip and I have a feeling it will not be his last! I could not believe how much joy he took in putting a pair of glasses on someone's face and asking if things look "mehore" (better) and his smile and joy matching those of the patients. I am so proud of him.

I am so blessed to be part of this wonderful team and can't thank Derrick and Marina enough for taking the time away from their family and work to organize this mission...they do this every year with a smile on their faces.  I cannot wait to continue being part of this team over and over again. 
Dr. Annu Kaul












1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post Annu. Sounds like you're getting addicted to this TWECS thing and that's awesome for all the people you're seeing. Sounds like a wider range of Rxs than in Nepal. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete