I Wonder If I Will Remember to Love?




Stacy at Registration


Typical Peruvian home in the slopes of Lima's hills
I WONDER.....

If I was the one waiting in a never ending line - hot and crowded and exhausting and chaotic - hoping and praying to see an optometrist - knowing this might be my only chance to receive help;  to receive the incredible gift of sight - I wonder how I would behave ?


Would I be the one to eagerly step forward and help the person ahead of me who didn't understand what was being asked?

Would I be the one to cheerfully fill out the form for the elderly man that couldn't see to write ?

Would I gently hold the sleeping baby of the mother behind me so she could comfort her crying three year old?

Would I graciously step aside and allow someone to cut in line because they said it was their spot?

Would I have the dignity and strength to stand hour after hour in dust and noise without complaining and whining?

Would I comfort the child beside me who was scared and confused ?

Would I see the needs of others even though my own need was great ?

Time after time I saw such examples of courtesy and compassion from the people in the villages of Peru. 

I HOPE.....

I hope I will  be like the Peruvian people - kind and patient and gracious and sensitive. Full of dignity and determination.

I hope I will be like them and have the resilience to laugh and find humour even in difficult circumstances.

I hope I will be
like them and remain calm and willing in situations that are not fair.

I hope I will say thank you sincerely and humbly; as every single one of them did to me;  for acts of kindness.

My cheek will forever be touched by their sweet kisses of gratitude and my heart filled to over-flowing with the word - Gracias .

Day after day I saw the people of Peru live what the world needs - and that is love.
Pure and simple love - It's what makes life beautiful.

I WONDER.....

I wonder if when I go home , back to my life of comfort and ease, I wonder if I will I remember what I have learned here from these incredible people ?

I wonder if I will remember to love ?


Stacy Bowler 
Volunteer 









2 comments: