You Can't Choose Where You Are Born



This is my first mission trip. My rationale for coming on this  mission was to give back , explore Peru and spend time with my sis and nephew. I was asked to write a blog on my experience... I have no idea where to start as I've not had time to process. Do I write about the T..W.E.C.S crew (aka family)... Their generosity for taking me in, their compassion for others , some of them are on their 8-9 mission, some bring their kids  and expose them to the joy of giving, working, engaging being present even in rough conditions while being sick. Or should I talk about our bus trips back and forth to the clinics ( even after 10 - 12 hour days...each one is smiling or dancing, or reflecting on the day they just had) knowing they made a difference in someone's life!

Should I write about the clinics ...I take an hour taxi ride straight to the clinic after a red eye. As I step out of the taxi and there is a flood of people and line up way past the eye can see, I have yet to see a familiar face and there walks out my sis doing what she does best . Guiding people to their lines to ensure she does not miss a beat. I get introduced to David, Dana, Kiran, LiLi and then passed on to dispensing ... what the heck is dispensing. I thought I was going to guide lines. I only learnt the equivalent words for line in Spanish. I get a quick brain dump by Rodger. And then I see Delaney while helping her patients she stops to answer my questions and then I'm greeted by Julie's smile. It's going to be ok. I get it into the swing of things trying to learn and then my nephew pops out of no where and gives me some tips. I've got this.... I help my first patient after two shadows with Rodger... she just kissed me to thank me..that she could see when she reads. The smile on her face and the kindness in her eyes, it gives you this energy this high that can't be described . I'm too busy to spend time with her, I need to focus and move on to the next. 






I did not know how or where to begin. There is simply too much to put into words as most of it is the experience itself . I had the privilege to join this group towards the end of their 10 day mission. On my day  3, the only regret I have is not being able to join this team sooner . How many more people could they have seen only If i could have gotten here just a bit earlier?
In life we constantly are tasked with making choices in every aspect . Despite the conditions  in Lima for the people, the one consistent thought I've had through out this trip is, you can't choose where you are born. 
Mona Nikhanj.


No comments:

Post a Comment